The application for the 2024-2025 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships is now open. FLAS fellowships are funded by the U.S. Department of Education to assist students in acquiring foreign language proficiency.
IRIS NRC awards FLAS fellowships for Summer and/or Academic Year for the study of Arabic, Hebrew, Indonesian, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Swahili, Turkish.
Summer 2024 awards offer up to $8,500 in tuition and stipend support for both undergraduate and graduate students; academic year 2024-25 awards offer up to $15,000/year in tuition & stipend funding for undergraduates and up to $38,000/year for graduate students.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States. The application deadline is February 14, 2024. Please contact Csanád Siklós at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about IRIS NRC FLAS awards.
For a full list of languages supported by FLAS at UW-Madison, further details on eligibility, an FAQ page, and the online application please visit: https://flas.wisc.edu
There will be 4 in-person and 2 online information sessions for students interested in applying for a FLAS award. The content of the sessions will be identical; students need only attend one session:
- Monday, November 13, 2023, 4-5 pm, 336 Ingraham Hall
- Thursday, November 16, 2023, 6-7 pm, online (note: this is a combined Boren & FLAS award info session) – register HERE
- Tuesday, November 28, 2023, 12-1 pm, 336 Ingraham Hall
- Tuesday, December 5, 2023, 2-3 pm, IAP Resource Center (3rd Floor Red Gym)
- Wednesday, January 24, 2024, 5-6 pm, online – register HERE
- Thursday, January 25, 2024, 4-5 pm, 336 Ingraham Hall
Details on the information sessions can be found at https://iris.wisc.edu/flas-info-sessions-2024/