IRIS NRC is one of eight area studies centers participating in the third annual Area and International Studies Undergraduate Paper Award. This monetary award provides undergraduate students up to $1,000 for the best paper on transregional themes, written during the academic year to fulfill a UW-Madison course or thesis requirement.
Please join the awards committee in congratulating this year’s winners!
- Madelyn (Maddy) Demchick is a rising junior from Philadelphia, majoring in political science and international studies with certificates in public policy and educational policy studies.
- Paper: Measuring Levels of Success of Reconciliation in Post-Conflict States
- Course: Political Science 345 – Conflict Revolution
- Faculty: Andrew Kydd, Political Science
- Jordan Grob is a rising sophomore who intends to declare a major in International Studies: Politics and Policy in the Global Economy. When not studying, you can find Jordan watching low-quality movies with friends, exploring Madison’s shops, or at a favorite café, Le C’s, on State Street.
- Paper: The Bitter Truth Behind Nestlé’s Sweets: Nestlé and Their Continued Usage of Child Labor
- Course: International Studies 101
- Faculty: Erica Simmons, International Studies and Political Science
- Reyna Groff is a senior at UW Madison studying Art and Spanish with a certificate in French. She grew up in Madison as the eldest of eight siblings, and enjoys storytelling, language, and intercultural community.
- Paper: Every Moment Is Now: The Graphic Novel “Here”and the Rhizome Model of History
- Course: Art History 354 – Cross-Cultural Arts Around the Atlantic Rim: 1800 to the Present
- Faculty: Kyungso Min, Art History
- Zidu Xu is a graduating senior interested in the history of European imperialism in the nineteenth century, and headed to graduate school.
- Course: History 680 – Honors Thesis Colloquium and History 682 – Senior Honors Thesis
- Faculty: Daniel Stolz, History
Learn more about the award here, and apply next year!